Block your nose close your mouth and try to survive without any air. This task is impossible, meaning that the air is an extremely vital part of our existence and the existence of all life on the planet.
Read an article by Mail & Guardian Air pollution kills 20 000 per year in South Africa – as many as in traffic
Five million deaths a year make air pollution the fourth leading cause of premature deaths in the world. Only smoking, obesity and dietary issues kill more people.
In South Africa we rely on coal for over 90% of our energy, this means that we are doing damage as we are watching tv. There are people that live in the areas where coal is being mined and also where the factories are. This affects them the most and there is an alternative solution. We can convert so solar and wind energy to lessen our impact on the environment. If everyone said yes to wind and solar energy things would change very quickly.
What can you do to reduce air pollution?
- Use Public Transportation – 4 people can fit in one car or catch the bus, many people in cape town drive to the closest bus stop and use the Myciti bus reducing their impact to the environment and traffic.
- Plant a Garden – Plant a garden that is going to give the air the nutrients that it needs to be cleaner.
- Turn Off Lights When not in Use – The more traditional power that you are using, the more energy you’re wasting and the more that you’re polluting the air.
- Make use of Solar Energy – Consider using solar power instead of regular power. You will stop relying on the coal for energy from power stations and end up saving you a lot of cash in the long run as well.
- Dry Clothes on Clothesline – Dry your clothes on a clothesline instead of trying to dry your clothes in a dryer. The less energy that you use, the better off it will be.
- Always Use Recyclable Products – Always use recyclable products if you have access to them and the ability to choose them. They take less power to make than other products.